Assystem Energy & Infrastructure
The purpose of this position is to enact the role of a Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Engineer within the Manufacturing, Installation and Testing (MIT) Function. The role holder will be required to discharge the associated ‘Intelligent Customer’ responsibilities to support to the project on behalf of the Licensee organisation. The role is specifically targeted at the NDT aspects of the new nuclear plant design, manufacturing and construction phase. It will require an understanding of the manufacturing NDT process requirements for components which are important to ensure the adequate level of quality is achieved, and to ensure these are not compromised during any phase of the plant’s lifecycle.
You will be expected to with a wide range of stakeholders within the project (Design Authority, Quality, Programme) and more widely with the Responsible Designer (Direction Industrielle), Contractors, Manufacturers and the Regulator. Additionally, you will be required to be able to influence the stakeholders to ensure the right technical and commercial decisions are made for the project. This role holder will have a significant level of autonomy and will report to the MIT Engineering Manager. The NDT Engineer will principally be required to work in Bristol, but some international travel may be required on an ad hoc basis.
• Review and accept NDT procedures
• Provide technical advice and support on a range of NDT issues.
• Perform surveillance on NDT vendors and inspection reports.
• Act as technical expert on topics related NDT techniques for the review of Non-Conformance Reports.
• Work effectively with minimal supervision to ensure internal customer’s needs are met.
• Maintain a strong relationship with the Design Authority, Programmes, Responsible Designer (in France) and UK regulatory bodies.
Skills & Knowledge Required
• Detailed working knowledge of NDT codes and standards
• Decision making capability for resolution of NDT technical issues
• Understanding of Quality Assurance in a highly regulated environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to build strong working relationships with internal and external customers and supplier’s Excellent organisational skills
• Understanding of the role of Intelligent Customer Ability to lead by example in safety culture Understanding of manufacturing processes
Qualifications & Experience
• PCN or equivalent ISO 9712/ASME Level 3 in volumetric and surface inspection techniques (current preferred but lapsed qualifications may be considered). Level 2 with sufficient experience may be considered.
• Degree in Engineering/Materials Science/Metallurgy
• Experience working on large projects
• Experience in highly regulated environment e.g. nuclear, aerospace, petrochemical etc.
• Chartered engineer status
• Experience working in an Intelligent Customer role
• Experience of Nuclear Power Plant inspection campaigns
• Experience in liaising with external regulators including ONR
• Use of RSE-M and ASME code for in-service inspection
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance.